Business relationships stabilize when both parties know, like and trust each other. Most potential alliances dissolve upon reaching the third element: trust. Here are five steps to solidify relationships:
1. Ask for the sale. After meeting the other party, go beyond small talk.
2. Don’t mess up the opportunity. Be sure to leave a good impression.
3. Be gracious if things don’t end up working out. Don’t burn any bridges. It might work out later.
4. Don’t lie. Always do what you say you will do.
5. Follow up. Don’t worry about being bothersome. Persistence is more often rewarded than punished.